Sunday, April 29, 2007

Back to Life, Pt. 1

Realizing that our last post was four months ago, I thought I would update everyone. As for January and February, we had one of the coldest winters Chicago has ever had--day after day with highs in the single digits. It was pretty miserable, and eventually Pocky even thought her legs were falling off every time she went down to relieve herself. We even bought gloves for her, but she looked even more dissatisfied with those on her feet than the subzero snow.




The scene at Lake Michigan wasn't much better (from Northwestern you can see Loyola and Chicago in the distance). I almost always walk to class in the mess, and Rachel takes the El (the elevated train) or I would drive her. Some days the wind and snow were so brutal that we couldn't take the car though, so I would escort Rachel on the El to make sure she didn't blow away (I'm not sure what it accomplished, but at least it made her feel better about it.)


Life continued to be bleak, except for the giant snow drifts that the family jumped into from time to time, temporarily curing our insanity. Also, Rachel's birthday helped lift spirits. If you can believe it, she was jao ying (Thai princess) for the day, even if no cookie cake could be found to satisfy her wishes.


No comments: