Sunday, October 22, 2006

Paris Recap

So I know over a month has passed since the trip, but I just turned in the final paper and now feel like I can put Paris behind me.

Just to give you a taste of how many places I went, I rarely take more than one picture at each site and I have over five hundred pictures! Although the reading for the trip was really good and helpful for my own work, the discussions we had there seemed pretty shallow and not all that helpful. I did however pick up a copy of Walter Benjamin's Illuminations at Shakespeare and Co. on the Seine, stamped with "Kilometer Zero, Paris." So all was not lost academically.

I also have three great new comrades from the trip: one Comp. Lit., one Historian, and one Art Historian. Between the three of us, we always had a really interesting plan for the evenings, whether a unknown fondue place in Montmartre (where the drinks are served out of baby bottles), couscous by the quart, or the best crepes and cafes in the city. Quickly they realized that as far as directions were concerned, I should be in charge... so they picked the places and I led them there.

No comments: