Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Perrow Visits, Seasons Change



Like many of our visitors, Adam exclaimed the food was one of the best parts of his trip. Between deep dish (pictured above), Thai "Spicy Crazy Noodles," gone-in-a-minute bagels, bubble tea with too many bubbles, Chicago famous hot dogs, and the best grinders in the world - you can't beat Chicago's food. Plus, we never take our visitors anywhere that costs over $10 total, because we can't afford it either!

Pocky and Adam enjoyed passionate moments together, Pocky smothering Adam's face in kisses and longing to be near him at all hours... even as Adam toweled off after a shower! However Adam, a modest man, was able to maintain his decency despite Pocky's promiscuity. At least Adam doesn't have to deal with my plight - walking a fluffy white dog with a pink rhinestone collar at all hours of the day and night. Oh, the things I do for my wife's happiness.

Two other funny stories worth mentioning from the weekend:

1. Upon citing Emeril at Marshall Field's this weekend, Adam grabbed a book to be signed... meanwhile I wanted to find the cheapest item around to be signed... perhaps a wooden spoon? But alas, the line went around the building and neither of us was willing to wait. And 'Bam!' we were out of there.

2. The purple line on the El has been down this weekend, so we were forced to wait on buses to transport us to the nearest station. Luckily, on one of these bus rides, we were able to witness one of the funniest fights I have ever witnessed: a crotchety old white man and a moody black female bus driver. After stopping the bus in the middle of the busy street, the conversation went like this:

"I told you to get behind my yellow line."
"Well, I could have gone face first through the windshield."
"Well, you di'nt, did you?" moving her face and finger back and forth.
"Well, I could have."
"Stay behind my yellow line sir. I am tired of dealing wid fools like you all night long," now returning to her seat.
"You stupid bus drivers are the problem," still standing right over her.
"Excuse me, I got a masta's in psychology!"
"Well, why are you driving a bus then?"
"Cause I feel like it. And you don't yell at me!"
"Well, you don't yell at me either."
And the best comeback of all time:
"If you respect me, then I'll respect you."
With this witty comeback, the dispute with the bus driver ends.

Adam's visit also marked the end of fall as we know it up here, and the beginning of Evanston's long, cold winter. His last day in town was the day that the Bears' extra point is returned for the longest run in history, due to a 50mph wind gust (see ESPN). It was also the day that flights from O'Hare were delayed five to six hours, thus Adam's return to a warm, moonlit Charleston at 2am. Now, as I write this entry, our first snow begins to fall. The Christmas displays adorn downtown Evanston and Chicago, and Marshall Fields has its gigantic tree and holiday windows completed.

Tomorrow is Pocky's surgery, and we have a group of Thais in town we are showing around. Meanwhile, finals are approaching for me (three long, publication-worthy papers). We are staying busy enough to keep our minds off the drop in temperature... to some extent.

No comments: