Friday, February 03, 2006

Our Third Cycle Begins

Phil says we have six more weeks of winter, but we're asking when is it going to start? This January was the third warmest on record for Chicago, with 42 consecutive days of above average temps. Supposedly it is going to begin chilling down Sunday and then by the end of this coming week, we should be getting toward 'miserable.' We definitely would rather have that happen now than after Easter, as has happened before (or so we hear).

Rachel's classes are much harder than she assumed they would be, especially since she has three theory classes for her first term. One professor is a Turkish man who Rachel can barely understand, and another expects her to know every miniscule detail of American history - quite unfair for someone who knows more about the story of Buddha than Lincoln. And, when the Turkish professor kept talking about 'theorists' the first day of class, everyone heard 'terrorists' and thought he was looney. Needless to say, Rachel is having quite a time.

As for me, nothing really new. My classes this term are much more up my alley academically, though I still feel hopelessly behind. On average I am reading about five hundred pages of dense material each week, and writing anywhere between 5-15 pages. Leaving the apartment is not an option most days.

Luckily Adam and Stacey gave us tickets to see the musical 'Wicked' so we'll plan on doing that for Valentine's/Rachel's Birthday. While they have spared me from having to figure out something to do that weekend, I think I am still on my own for finding presents. Any help Adam?

Oh, and to explain the title of this entry - Eating at a noodle restaurant here in Evanston on the 29th, I let Rachel know we were officially old. Twenty-four years and our third cycle has begun. Mom, get some new T-shirts from the Weekend Market! All hail the Year of the Dog!

4 comments:

Robby said...

hey - isn't this our third cycle?

Anonymous said...

So 24 is old, huh? I guess I better get my support stockings on and hobble on down to the pharmacy for my prescriptions then...pushing thirty seven!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAY-RAY! (Pssst...Brandon! Get anything sparkly and princess-y! And don't forget to buy Pocky a present, too! You don't want a jealous girl around the house!)

Nick said...

Isn't grad school FUN??? Love you guys, thanks for the christmas card. I'm leaving for China on Tuesday for a semester in Shanghai. Let me know if you want to come visit (wink, wink).